January 14, 2011

double-chocolate brownies, 8"x8" version

It's a close call, but this might be my favorite brownie recipe. A 9"x13" inch version can be found here.

double-chocolate okara brownies

In a bowl, thoroughly mix
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt


On a stove top over low heat, mix together
1 cup sugar
4 oz. okara
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
1/4 cup almond milk or soy milk

and stir until chocolate is completely melted and ingredients are incorporated. Be careful not to let the chocolate burn. Remove from heat, and add
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla

and whisk together until oil is emulsified.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir together until incorporated.

Scrape batter into a lightly oiled 8"x8" pan (I used a Pyrex pan) and cook at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 32 minutes. Allow to cool.

okara brownie

Variation: chocolate-raspberry brownies

2 comments:

  1. You are finding some wondrful uses for the okara. Can dogs tolerate soy products ok? Could it be used to make dog biscuits? Or added to their food at mealtime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy! Thanks for the comment. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine about dogs and soy. I don't have dogs myself, so this is not on my radar. I would ask a veterinarian, and if s/he gave me the go-ahead I'd experiment with dog biscuits by letting the okara replace a little bit of the flour and a little bit of the liquid.

    ReplyDelete