October 22, 2011

chocolate-beet muffins

I had leftover beets, and the obvious choice was to sneak them into some chocolate muffins. This recipe is based on this chocolate-banana muffin recipe, so if you're wary of getting beets in your chocolate I highly recommend trying that one instead! (Or in addition to.)

I'm not sure whether to classify this as a dessert or not. It has a great flavor but really isn't very sweet. Next time I make it I'll add more sugar and maybe even play with some spices, but I think this is a nice recipe as is, and might be especially appealing to people who don't like super-sweet desserts or snacks.

chocolate-beet muffins

In a bowl, mix together
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

and stir until well combined.

NB: I'm sure you could use all whole-wheat pastry flour instead of a combination of that and spelt flour. The reason I threw in some spelt flour is because I happened to have 1/4 cup of it to use up!

chocolate-beet muffins

In a blender or food processor, mix until completely pureed:
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup okara
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup soymilk
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. cooked, peeled beets
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted


chocolate-beet muffins

Add chocolate-beet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Distribute batter evenly between the wells of a lightly oiled 12-muffin pan. The wells will be pretty full!

chocolate-beet muffins

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 23 minutes. Allow to cool for at least a few minutes before removing from pan.

chocolate-beet muffins

5 comments:

  1. These are fantastic. I don't know what it is about beets, but they really work with chocolate. The muffins rise nicely, they don't collapse, and have a great consistency. Fantastic vegan chocolate cake/muffin recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks flw! I'm glad you liked them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I' m really fascinating by your blog! Great job.
    I' ll try to make this recipe tomorrow, but i dont know what is whole- wheat pastry flour in my country and if it is available here. Can i use all- purpouse flour? Should i change amount of it then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can just replace it with the same amount of all-purpose flour. Whole-wheat pastry flour is just another kind of flour that is a bit healthier.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! we' ve made it today. Our okara wasn't very wet (we make soy milk without machine and this is the reason i think) so we had to add some more milk. Muffins are really good, they are like a mud cake.
      Greetings!

      Delete