May 27, 2014

Ultra Fudgey Okara Brownies

OK, brownies are my favorite dessert (especially with a scoop of vanilla So Delicious and some chocolate syrup), and there are probably a million variations of brownie recipes on this blog. Here's another, one that is decidedly on the fudgey side of the spectrum.

fudgey okara brownies

In a bowl, mix thoroughly (it's easy not to):
2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt


On the stove top, in a small pot over low heat, melt together
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick, or 2 oz.) Earth Balance
1 Tablespoon (1/2 oz.) coconut oil
2/3 cup sugar

and whisk together until ingredients are well incorporated and smooth.

NB: If you don't like the taste of coconut oil, feel free to substitute it with more Earth Balance or a more mild-tasting oil.

To the chocolate mixture, add
1/4 cup okara
1/3 cup almond milk (I'm sure other non-dairy milks will work fine)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder

and whisk until all ingredients are well incorporated, with no lumps. Turn off heat and add
1 tsp. vanilla
and whisk into chocolate mixture.

Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together until incorporated. Scrape batter into a lightly oiled 8"x8" pan (I used a Pyrex pan). Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 28 minutes. Allow to cool.

fudgey okara brownies

12 comments:

  1. New to posting to a blog but had to say i am so glad to have found your site. Seems we always have okara in the fridge and use it for the same things over and over. Made the Spiced Coffee Cake today. My okara was pretty dry so I added some applesause, and pumpkin and it's great. Pie crust next. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin sounds like a wonderful addition! I'll have to try that myself sometime! Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Anna:

    Great blog. I made these brownies – boy are they tasty!

    With the rest of my okara, I made a "cheese"-y crumble that would probably be divine on top of your mac and cheese. It was inspired by lafujimama.com's sweet okara crumble, but I just made it savoury instead. Here's the recipe!

    3 cups okara
    2 tbs oil (I used red palm)
    3 tbs miso
    2.5 tbs nutritional yeast
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp cayenne

    Mix well and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350F, flipping once or twice.

    Hope you enjoy!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool that you posted this -- I was planning on making mac and cheese the next time I had a pile of okara! This will be fun to try, so thanks for sharing it!

      Delete
  3. Hi. Do you use the okara dried or fresh in your recipes? Thanks. Anezka

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had found your collection of recipes earlier! Always looking for creative ways to use okara. Here's my recipe for okara polenta: http://homewandering.blogspot.com/2015/02/okara-polenta-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Are you still doing this?

    Have you ever tried using okara as a main ingredient? All the recipes in this blog seem to be trying to hide it, like an unwanted bumper crop of zucchini!

    In fact I didn't notice a single picture of what okara *looks like*. The very first post shows soybeans soaking, on their way to becoming soymilk + okara. But not the star ingredient.

    What happens if you just cook a pot of the stuff with a suitable amount of salt -- can it end up like a grain (rice, wheat berries, quinoa etc.)?

    What happens if you make a soup of it -- surely it could be a soup in its own right, like split pea or white bean?

    Fry it, by itself, as a patty? Or with some binding stuff and flavoring mixed in -- but substantially, in bulk, okara?

    Puree and bake it?

    Okra stuffed with okara? Okra battered in okara? : )

    -- speaking as a foodie, always interested in 'exotic' ingredients -- but I've never actually encountered okara, never made my own 'whatever milk'. My mom used to make bean soups with dried soybeans as a star ingredient -- they plump up but remain chewy, very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I type this, I'm making my own soy milk and couldn't help but wonder why I should throw away the by product I now know is called okara. Thanks for all the amazing recipes you shared on this blog. I'll be sharing my own experience on my blog www.lilyofnigeria.com soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am still not very clear as to what I can use the okara to produce. I can produce tofu in various ways

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An incredible recipe, and very flexible. Mods depending on what we have on hand and to slow me down on speed of gobbling (only slightly): cut chocolate to 2 oz and sugar to 1/2 cup; add 1 oz chopped walnuts. SO good! No one knows if you don't tell them :)

    ReplyDelete